When hiring any Atlanta moving company, you need to be aware of your rights and responsibilities. This is most importantly true when dealing with an interstate move. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has promulgated a number of consumer protection regulations that are written with your happiness in mind. Here at A-1 Freeman Moving Group, we hope to make sure that you have full knowledge that you are entitled to get from a licensed moving company, and what are your basic responsibilities when hiring a mover.
As per the FMCSA, the following information should be provided from your mover:
- An estimate in writing
- The “Ready to Move” brochure or link to the website
- Info on the mover’s arbitration program
- A written notice about access to the mover’s tariff
- The process that the mover has for handling claims
- A link to the FMCSAs “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move” booklet
The customer must take care of:
- Reading and understanding all moving documents that are provided to them by the mover.
- Being available at the time of pickup and delivery of your possessions, or having a representative available in their place.
- Notifying the mover as soon as possible when there is a change with the shipment (moving date, additional items, additional drop off point, etc)
- Paying the amount agreed upon and in the form agreed to with the mover.
- Filing claims for loss, damage or delays with the mover as soon as possible, if necessary.
You can learn a great deal more specific information on all of your Rights and Responsibilities at the fmcsa.dot.gov website. Regardless as to which mover you hire, take care to be well informed.