Getting Your Documents Together for a Move to Atlanta

By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group 

Documents for MovingMoving either close by or across the country takes a lot of coordination and organization, and many people don't round up the proper records beforehand. The following is a short reference guideline for many of the important papers that you will need whether moving local or planning for a long-distance move to Atlanta.

Let's be honest, it's not as if you have to have a passport along with a work visa to transfer across the state line, although after you've gathered all your life papers together to go over the border those are about the only items you do not need. And the way our minds operate, you would be ready to need all this documentation for a cross-country move, however if your move is geographically nearby--from Memphis just across the river into a Mississippi or Arkansas suburb, for example, it may come as a shock that you must have all those documents.

These are the records you'll probably need to keep on hand whenever moving, and approaches to obtain them if they've expired or you've lost the originals.

Driver's License

Even though driver's licenses won't be acceptable for federal identification much longer, you will still must have a active one--you need to have it in any case, but in the case it expired a couple weeks or perhaps a few months ago and you figured since you're moving why bother, go make the effort. If you wish to check in at the airport, rent a vehicle, open a bank account, or conduct life in general, you should have a current driver's license to do this. If you are in a state in which you cannot obtain a driver's license through the local Tag Agency same day, ask for a paper version of your new license to use in front of the printed version arriving in the mail; this can be suitable identification for a couple of weeks.


If you are moving for a new position, odds are pretty good that you will have to prove US citizenship prior to getting started. You'll be able to renew it by mail should you fulfill specified guidelines--your name hasn't changed, your last one has been issued not more than 15 years in the past, you were a minimum of 16 at the time, along with others--however if not, you should make application for a new one in person. It is possible to ask for an expedited passport if needed however be ready to pay an additional $60 or so.

Birth Certificate(s)

You'll need a copy for everybody in the family for your move to Atlanta. If you cannot put your hands on the originals and you are now living in the county or parish whereby they were distributed, a quick stop by at the county offices will take care of it. If you had been born in a different place, obtain the reproduction from that area. Every place is different, thus consider an online investigation with regard to the county records the place you were born to determine the specific instructions to obtain a certified reproduction of your certificate of a birth. There is generally a nominal charge involved.

Marriage License

If you need a reproduction, follow the same procedure you would with the birth certificate. A family Bible or even document from the church is not a sufficient legal document.

Social Security Card(s)

Each person in your family will need to have a social security number in addition to a card; if you cannot place your hands on the cards you're going to need to obtain replacements without delay. You can begin the process online, and mail in the supporting records, or you can actually visit the local Social Security Administration office with your paperwork. Copies--even notarized ones--aren't satisfactory. You will need picture ID and verification of citizenship, therefore take a current driver's license or passport, school, employee, or armed forces identification card, or a health insurance card.

Vehicle Registration

You are going to need to register your motor vehicles in your new community and state, therefore bring your current registration cards and verification of insurance protection to the local DMV straight away right after your move to Atlanta. Within a different state you'll get a whole new license plate and tag; in case your move was intrastate your current license plate and tag are fine, but your insurance charges could change.

Health and Shot Reports

If you have young ones, their new schools will require verification of immunization prior to enrollment. Possessing duplicates of all family healthcare documents can help when you have initial consultations with new physicians.

Assemble all your records together as quickly as you can ahead of your move to Atlanta and keep them together. Since you will need original copies of most items, just put all the things within a file folder and keep it along with you or in a safe location during the actual move--this is one thing you won't want to lose.

If you are ready to move to Atlanta, let A-1 Freeman Moving Group assist. Get in touch with us today to schedule your free in-home estimate.


Request a free quote