By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
We all like to trust that our residences are our safe spots, however if you simply study your family home in the eyes of a little one, there is danger at each turn. From the electrical outlets simply inviting tiny fingers to explore them to the harsh edges of fireplaces, the many items you don't ever truly paused to contemplate have now become a hazard.
A fantastic point in time to childproof your new home is right after the moving company in Atlanta shows up to unload your possessions. Then, you can arrange your home and manage safety issues in one swoop. Nevertheless, when you are moving is not the only point in time you should be conscious of items that are hazardous for your kids. You need to continually go through your residence room by room and ensure there aren't any issues inside of reach.
Kitchen area: It is very important in the kitchen to place safety latches on all cabinet doors you don’t want little ones opening and closing-especially all of the cabinets keeping cleansers along with other harmful items. Some other options include:
- Storing all cleaning supplies up out of reach
- Putting covers on all of the outlets
- Locking all drawers that contain sharp objects
- Keeping glass containers along with other breakables out of reach
Bathrooms: Water is incredibly hazardous to youngsters. Toilets may need a child locking mechanism to keep them shut, and you’ll want to make certain to never leave water standing in your tub. Additionally, give some thought to turning your hot water heater lower so that no potentially scalding water can come streaming out the taps. As well make sure to:
- Put covers on all electric outlets
- Lock cupboards with chemicals/cleansers
- Make positive children have zero ability to access prescription medications
Living Areas: Sharp corners are generally a massive risk factor in communal rooms. When little ones are starting to move around, it’s all too easy to hit heads and tumble into edges. Safety buffers can go a considerable way in order to make these things less dangerous. Additional considerations are:
- No looped cords on window shades or window treatments
- No unfastened power cords
- Safety covers on outlets
- Move heavy books and other items that can be dragged off shelves out of reach
- Secure pieces of furniture on the wall to circumvent tipping
- No climbing access from home furnishings to potentially hazardous high spaces (like windows)
Additionally it is a good idea to consider safeguards for bigger hazards. Stairwells might need gates to circumvent youngsters from going up or falling down. Places you do not prefer children to gain access to can be locked with childproof handles. Swimming pools need locked gates. Remember-anything that looks like fun is going to be the target for exploration at some time in the future. Thus, as the moving company in Atlanta is unloading your things and you're unpacking at your new residence, take the time to childproof each room….and keep your kids safe!