Don’t let the “D” word scare you! Yes, we are referring to Downsizing. When you are thinking about moving in Atlanta, thoughts oftentimes come up about how many of your possessions you really need. Surely, you will begin pondering on some stuff you need to get rid of. You may wonder how to do it. You might contemplate who will take the stuff you want to rid yourself of. You might mull over if you will regret getting rid of some of your belongings.
How to choose what to discard:
There are gobs of considerations that you can go through when deciding what to discard. You should give careful thought to when you last needed the item. If it has not seen the light of day in ten years, it is probably not something that you should hang on to. Contemplate if the item is still useful to you. If it is a piece of clothing like a jacket, put it on. If it doesn’t, toss it into the discard pile.
One critical item to avoid is procrastinating about making decisions. Frequently, this will lead to you keeping more things than you should have. Go with your gut and decide swiftly if you need to keep the item. When there are memories tied to items it can be hard to give them away, but the memories will remain even after the item has been rehomed.
How to deal with your discard pile in Atlanta:
- Garage Sale: This can take some effort but will also get you more back than you would with other methods. The steps to throwing a profitable garage sale is simple. Beforehand, check for any city ordinances in Atlanta and homeowner association rules to make sure that you submit to them. Next, price your items a fair price, especially if you will just give them away for nothing otherwise. Next, publicize your sale. You need to have signs placed at nearby intersections that will guide shoppers to your location. It may be helpful to submit advertisements online to guide more buyers to your sale. Finally, sit back and enjoy making a little money while talking with your neighbors. Click the Garage Sale Sign below for a more detailed step-by-step guide to planning your garage sale in Atlanta.
- Donate Items: When you just want to get rid of your things, donating your items to a charity in Atlanta is a super way to do that. You will assist a valuable cause. You will also help the next person who gets to use your item. It is a great, simple way to get rid of your stuff and keep it out of a landfill. Some organizations will even come and pick your donation up from your residence.
- Think about family and friends: If you know anyone in your family who is just spreading their wings, asking if they need any items would be a wonderful idea. Otherwise, just spread the word that you are downsizing and you might be surprised that people will come to you asking for items. It will give you pleasure to give someone something that they need.
- Consider a storage solution in Atlanta: There will be some things that you will not want to get rid of. If there is no room for them in your next location, consider renting a storage locker. This will allow you extra room for those items that you need for everyday living. If a storage unit is not in the numbers, think about if any family or friends would be able to stow items in their basement, garage or barn for you.
- Re-organize: Some items in your residence could be grouped more effectively. For example, if you have many DVDs, you could take them out of their cases and place them into a DVD folder. This will keep the amount of space you are using down, while allowing you to keep more.
Downsizing your home to get ready for a move will take work. Think of all the time that it took to collect everything you own. However, once you have downsized successfully you will be overjoyed that you did it. You will be able to focus your time on the items you truly care about and have uses for.