Factors that Affect Your Moving Estimate
If you’re moving, you no doubt have a lot of considerations—and quite a few costs. The last thing you want are surprises when it comes to your estimated moving costs. That’s why you need to hire an experienced and reputable moving company who will assist you to uncoverways to reduce your moving costs, and who will supply you an correct estimate of what those expenses will be.
How to Find the Best Company for Your Move in Atlanta
First, you need to know not every moving company is the same. Some are experienced, professional and honest—others aren’t. According to Consumer Reports, for example:
“Some moving companies quote lowball prices and then, once the move is underway, hold their customers' property hostage until they pay much more. Others demand substantial deposits and then don't show up, says Katherine Hutt, a spokeswoman for the Better Business Bureau.”
The good news is that you can locate a reputable company to help you move by simply doing some homework. You can, for instance, check their credentials (including their carrier number from the Department of Transportation) and read online ratings and complaints.
You should also check out their website—the best movers are often recipients of recognized awards—like the Pinnacle Mover Designation Award and the North American Quality Award—and will often post these awards on their site.
How to Understand the Factors of Your Moving Costs in Atlanta
Many determinants go into the cost of your move. For instance, what you pay will be based partially on things like the total weight of your possessions and the distance to your new residence. There are several other items, however, which will affect the total of your moving estimate, including the following 6:
- Packing and crating costs: Remember, you’re paying your moving company for their time. Certainly, they’ll require more time if you ask them to pack your things. You can save money by packing some or all of your belongings yourself. You can decrease costs some more by disassembling large pieces of furniture instead of having the mover do it for you. In addition, you’ll be billed more for certain kinds of packing and handling. For instance, if fragile items like artwork or a grandfather clock require crating, your cost will be higher.
- Poor access to your pick-up or drop-off location in Atlanta: If your current or future place of residence is in an area which hinders access for a tractor trailer truck (for instance, because of a narrow road or a weak bridge), your movers will need to find another way to get your things out of your old home or into your new one. For example, they probably will need to use smaller vehicles to gain access. In this event, you’ll need to pay the mover a shuttle fee.
- Stairs or long walking distances: The total of your move will also be higher if there are very long stairs (or multiple stairs) which they need to maneuver your belongings up or down. You might also have to pay a long-carry fee if the span from the moving truck to the entrance of your residence is greater than 50 feet.
- Narrow doors or hallways: If some of your things don’t fit through the door or down narrow hallways, a rigger might be required to hoist them through a window. In this case, you could be assessed a hoisting fee.
- Storage fees: This is one of the more common reasons for increased costs. If you must store some or most of your possessions at the carrier’s warehouse because your new home is not ready to be occupied, you’ll need to pay an additional storage fee.
- Time of year: Summer is the most busy moving time of the year, which means that moving in the summer will cost more. You can save money if it’s possible to plan your move from September to May. You will also pay more if you move on a national holiday or on the first or last day of the month (this is because rental agreements typically expire at these times, which means more people move then).
Moving companies don’t get a reputation for professionalism, authenticity and virtue by accident—they earn it by helping their clients, giving them guidance and working hard to obtain their trust. The most crucial thing you can do to obtain a safe move and lower your costs is to seek out the kind of moving company which cares about you and your family and will work tirelessly to ensure your complete satisfaction.
To learn more about our residential, office and corporate relocation services, contact us today.